Friday, October 2, 2009

Red Curry Bento


Omnomnom. I work as a police aide on my campus, and my hours can get a little strange-- I work from 12AM till 8AM, so sometimes I like to pack up my bento box with goodies. Tonight is no exception! I have red curry sauce on basmatti rice, a hard-boiled egg on a bed of lettuce, fresh grapes, green tea mochi, and iced animal crackers. All my stuff was really simple to make, since I was in a hurry. Even though it's not gourmet, it's relatively cheap and quick to make for even a novice:

Hard-boiled egg-- You need a single raw egg and a handful of iceburg lettuce.

-Boil a pot of water that is filled to about 2 or 3 inches.
-Carefully place the egg into the water. Let the water simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
-Take the egg out using a spoon or ladle. Wait for it to cool.
-Gently crack the hardboiled egg's shell and peel the shell and skin away.
-Cut the egg in half. Use one half and place the other half in the fridge for later.
-Line the bento with lettuce. Place egg on top.

Red curry rice-- You need 2/3 cup of basmati rice, your favorite storebought red curry sauce (I got mine from Trader Joe's), and some shallots.

-Boil a pot of water that is filled to about 2 or 3 inches.
-Put 2/3 a cup of basmati white rice in a strainer. Run water over the rice and stir to wash it.
-Carefully place the washed rice into the boiling water. Let it cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-Use the ladle to pick out one or two grains. Blow on the grains, and test them to see if they are cooked and ready to eat.
-Strain the rice over a sink. Pour rice into bento box.
-Carefully stir in as much red curry sauce as you prefer.
-Thinly slice shallots on cutting board-- as much as you prefer.
-Sprinkle shallots ontop of rice.

Well-- err-- the rest I bought at stores or pilfered from the school caf. If you are curious-- I bought the mochi at an E-Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment